Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Blog #1 New Media!


My life is surrounded by so much new media, it’s kind of crazy to think about. I can’t really escape it, but I’m okay with that. My iPhone is my most used device EVER, and contains unimaginable amounts of converged media. I use it for pretty much everything to taking notes, taking pictures, keeping up with friends, watching movies, playing video games, doodling, and oh yeah, make phone calls.

The thing about this generation is that theres so much more technology and opportunity now for young independent artists to directly reach their market without some sort of corporate middle man. It used to be that if you wanted to, let’s say make a movie or record an album, you needed to go to some sort of studio. Then hire some people to market it, and so on. But these days an artist can either rent a camera or more likely already owns a camera or some home studio equipment, and flim, record, and edit all by themselves. With the advent of the internet they can do a very good job marketing and distributing themselves as well.


I think the surge of technology today brings about a lot more media from different places, and a lot more ideas and visions floating around. For me, these new technologies have made it simpler for me to both make my art and share it with the world. I produce songs, make my own album art, designed my own web page, and create simple flash videos for my songs.


In the future I think technology will bring about some sort of “Swiss-Army” device, that a consumer can access every medium there is. People are going to go completely paperless.



No comments:

Post a Comment